How to Start a Diary

18:00:00

I know writing a diary is typically something looked down upon, or something your grandma tells you to do and you just roll your eyes. I know that, and yet I chose to set my new years resolution of 2015 to write a diary most days (one of the only ones that have ever lasted for more than two days). It's something I do quite often now, and I really enjoy it. It's like my own personal therapist, where I can write about absolutely anything I want without worrying about hurting someone's feelings. It's a place where I can say absolutely anything I want about something and not worry about being judged.

Just a note - Is it just me or is the font I've written in above very similar to that of Claude Monet on the cover? I had no idea that he and Taylor Swift had such similar handwriting!
Seeing as I've been writing consistently for a few months now, and am currently on my third diary, I figured I could call myself a senior diary-writer (lol). Therefore, I decided to use my position to share some tips and tricks with you, in case you'd like to start journaling.
This is by far my favourite one. It's from Paperblanks!
  1. What I consider the most important tip probably sounds stupid, but it's to buy a nice diary. A really, really nice one. This one is at least very important to me, and I take great care in looking for a new one. I figure it this way: If I'm going to pour my heart and soul into this object (although not literally, like Ginny did in the Chamber of Secrets), I want it to be an object that I can look at and be proud of. For the few months each of these diaries are in use they're like extensions of my brain, and having a really pretty one keeps me motivated to write. I'd recommend ones from Paperblanks, but TkMaxx do really good ones too.
  2. My second tip is what everyone advises you to do when starting something new, and that is to make it a habit. I'm not saying every day, but at least once a week have a habit that after dinner before you go to bed, you write. It makes it easier to do if you're not used to it.
  3. Slightly opposite to point #2, but you don't have to write down everything. You don't have to catch up on weeks worth of happenings if you haven't been writing during that time. To me, that would make me put it off even more, because having to write so much at once seems daunting to me.
  4. Just write. Seems simple, and it really is, so don't put so much pressure on yourself. Just write about what you had for breakfast, or why you and your friend got in a fight. Anything you want there, belongs in your diary.
  5. This is something that took me a long time to get used to, and that is to make sure I'm writing to myself. It seems obvious, of course I'm writing to myself! But no, I noticed that in the beginning I was writing more like what I would want someone else to read, which doesn't help at all. What's the point in that? So just make sure you're writing to the you who's here right now, not the one twenty years from now.
Those are all the tips I have for now, I hope some of you enjoyed it! As I mentioned earlier, I would really recommend starting a diary, because it just feels so freeing. Please let me know if you journal, or if you're thinking about starting!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Starting a diary seems like so much fun. This is great advice for doing so xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun, and a great way to vent!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog so much! I was wondering if you would like to be nominated for the Leibster Award? You can email me via jennam305@gmail.com with your response! Keep up the good work!
    Jenna Marie | jennamarie98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes I'd love to! I'll email you tomorrow, thank you so much though!

      Delete
  3. That diary is gorgeous ! I keep a positivity notebook where I write down one good thing each day that has happened so I guess that's a kind of diary :) I really struggle sometimes with just starting fresh when I've missed a few days I want to fill those days in but then I get stressed because I can't remember !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it? That's such a great idea, I might start one too! I struggle with the same thing, I haven't written in a few weeks and I feel like I need to catch up with everything!

      Delete
  4. This is great! I have a notebook that I bring with me everywhere, but I don't write in it everyday or describe my day, so I'd probably call it more of a creative journal than a diary. Love your post!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea though! I'd love to have one of those, but I'm sure it would just end up never being used in the bottom of my bag :/

      Delete